Liberal Arts: Humanities and Social Science (Political Science)
- TRANSFER DEGREE
- MIDDLETOWN CAMPUS
- DISTANCE LEARNING
The study of political science prepares students for careers in education, government service, and the legal professions, while at the same time, honing the communication and critical thinking skills sought by 21st century employers. Designed for Seamless transfer to four-year SUNY colleges, the Political Science Transfer Path not only allows students to complete the initial coursework in the discipline, it also provides students the opportunity to study with experts in the fields of American politics, International Relations, State and Local Government, some of whom have held or currently hold public office.
For more information, visit the SUNY Transfer Path website.
This degree has been approved by SUNY and NYS Education Department for online distance learning delivery. This does not mean that SUNY Orange offers every course in the program online; however, many are offered in this format. Please check the current credit course schedule for online DL virtual course listings offered each semester.
Career and Transfer Focus
A four-year degree in Political Science opens the doors to a number of careers, including teaching, government service, public administration, the legal professions, and law enforcement. This A.A. provides students the opportunity to complete the initial coursework in the discipline and prepares them for the pursuit of further education and future employment. Above all, like other Humanities Degree programs, the Political Science Transfer Path provides the student practice in the communication and critical thinking skills sought by 21st century employers.
Three Reasons to Consider the Political Science Track in Liberal Arts: Humanities and Social Science
- The program offers students seamless transfer to four-year SUNY Colleges.
- The program provides students the opportunity to study with top professionals in the field.
- The program helps students develop a deep understanding of local, state and national political issues and institutions, through international politics as well.
Upon graduating with a Liberal ARts: Humanities and Social Science degree, students will:
- demonstrate foundational knowledge of and an appreciation for the cultural, social, and natural worlds
- recognize the diversity of human experience, values, and perspectives
- demonstrate an understanding of the forms of artistic expression and their creative processes
- apply critical thinking and systematic reasoning skills.
- demonstrate information management, quantitative skills, and an understanding of the role of empirical measurement
- use effective oral and written communication skills
- transfer to, and succeed at, an upper-level institution
Keep This in Mind
Students who successfully complete the program will earn an A.A. degree and will be prepared to transfer to another institution for completion of a B.A.
Students must complete the entire sequence of courses in political science and related disciplines.
Students must complete the foreign language requirement (102-level or above).
Admission to this program requires that students be high school graduates or have high school equivalency diplomas (HSEs). If students are not high school graduates, they may be eligible for admission to the College’s 24 Credit Hour Program. If students are home schooled, they may be eligible for admission.
SUNY Orange has special relationships with upper-level colleges and universities for transfer. These transfer institutions include:
- four-year institutions in the State University of New York (SUNY) system
- private NYS and national four-year institutions
To provide for a smooth transfer, students should consult with both their academic advisors and the potential transfer institutions for academic course selection and guidance as soon as possible.
Your Career Coach
The Associate in Arts degree program serves as a foundation for students who will complete their bachelor’s degree at a four- year institution. They may then pursue careers in a number of areas. In addition, successful completion of a bachelor’s degree can also lead to continued study on the graduate level.
Program Availability Status
Students can complete the Political Science transfer path by taking daytime classes at either the Middletown or Newburgh campus. Courses are routinely offered during the daytime, with some evening and online options available.