- CAREER CERTIFICATE
- MIDDLETOWN CAMPUS
- DISTANCE LEARNING
The Law Enforcement/Security certificate program is designed for students who are interested in a career in law enforcement or industrial security. The program provides an analysis of the close relationship between the public and private sector and their importance in providing a secure and safe environment for our citizens. The program emphasizes the methods, procedures and techniques that are utilized in the area of private security and current security-related issues such as loss prevention, disaster preparation, business continuity and homeland security. The program provides the student with an in-depth knowledge of police-related issues such as criminal law, patrol operations and criminal investigations. Students who complete this program will be certified to seek employment as security officers with local or state security agencies.
This degree has been approved by SUNY NYS Education Department for online distance learning delivery. This does not mean that SUNY Orange offers every course in the program online; however, many are offered in this format. Please check the current credit course schedule for online DL virtual course listings offered each semester.
Career and Transfer Focus
The Law Enforcement Security Certificate program is designed for students who are interested in a career in law enforcement or industrial security. The program emphasizes the methods, procedures and techniques that are utilized in private security, loss prevention, disaster preparation, business continuity and homeland security.
Three Reasons to Consider the Law Enforcement/Security Certificate
- The SUNY Orange teaching faculty are well credentialed and possess practical experience in all areas of the justice system as well as private security.
- Many of our alumni are currently enjoying careers in the New York State Police, the New York City Police Department, New York State Corrections, the Orange County Sheriff's Department, and numerous other federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies throughout the country. Several our graduates are also practicing attorneys and hold positions in corporate and industrial security firms.
- We have many online courses available as well as flexible scheduling that enable our students to pursue work and career opportunities while pursuing their certificate.
- identify and assess current issues in security and security management.
- be able to identify relevant issues of constitutional, procedural, and substantive law and their impact on security systems.
- be able to understand the importance of crime scene protection and be able to demonstrate the proper methods of gathering and presenting evidence properly.
- provide specific courses which meet New York State requirements for certification as a security officer.
Keep This in Mind
- Admission to the program requires that students be high school graduates or have a high school equivalency diploma.
- If Students are home schooled, they may be eligible for admission.
- The degree has been approved by SUNY NYS Education Department for online learning delivery.
Admission to this program requires that students be high school graduates or have
high school equivalency diplomas
(HSEs). If students are not high school graduates, they may be eligible for admission to the College’s 24 Credit Hour Program. If students are home schooled, they may be eligible for admission.
Although this is a certificate program designed for immediate entry into the workplace, credits can be applied to further college study. Consult a department advisor for more information
Your Career Coach
Career opportunities exist in the following fields:
- uniformed security officer
- plainclothes security officer
- loss prevention analyst
- risk analyst
- hotel security
- industrial security
- executive protection
Program Availability Status
The SUNY Orange Criminal Justice Program is available on both the Newburgh and Middletown campuses and many courses are offered in both day and evening sessions. In addition, several courses are available online.