Liberal Arts: Individual Studies
- TRANSFER DEGREE
- MIDDLETOWN CAMPUS
- NEWBURGH CAMPUS
- DISTANCE LEARNING
The Associate in Science degree program in Individual Studies is a transfer degree program designed for those students whose goals are not adequately addressed by one of the College’s other programs. Its purpose is to allow students to shape a program to meet their individual needs.
The program is divided into three components: core requirements, concentration area and electives. Core requirements are intended to provide students with a firm general education foundation through exposure to the three traditional areas of liberal arts study–humanities, social science and sciences–and development of communication and computational skills. The concentration area is comprised of course work reflecting the individual’s educational objectives. The elective component provides the student with the flexibility to build upon the special area of study.
This degree has been approved by SUNY NYS Education Department for online distance learningdelivery. This does not mean that SUNY Orange offers every course in the program online; however, many are offered in this format. Please check the current credit course schedule for online DL virtual course listings offered each semester.
- demonstrate their broad base of knowledge in the liberal arts and sciences by evoking critical thinking skills in drawing reasonable conclusions from evaluated data
- develop a foundation of essential knowledge about the cultural, social and natural worlds, and individual well-being
- demonstrate a mastery of communication skills, both written and oral
- understand the commonalities and diversity of the human experience, values and opinions
- apply systematic reasoning and develop information management quantitative skills
- be prepared to transfer to an upper-level institution
Keep This in Mind
This degree has been approved by SUNY NYS Education Department for online distance learning delivery. This does not mean that SUNY Orange offers every course in the program online; however, many are offered in this format. Please check the current credit course schedule for online DL virtual course listings offered each semester.
Prior to the sophomore year (30 credits), the student is required to submit an Individual Studies Program Plan. This form, available in the Advising and Counseling Center, requires a 250 word statement of the student’s educational, transfer and career objectives. Based on these objectives, the student and advisor will select the courses to fulfill the concentration and elective component of the degree. The Program Plan will then be submitted to the appropriate Associate Vice President in Academic Affairs. On approval of the plan, a faculty advisor whose academic background is appropriate to the student’s area of concentration will be assigned to assist in the next phase of study.
SUNY Orange has special relationships with upper-level colleges and universities for transfer. These institutions include:
- four year institutions in the State University of New York (SUNY) system
- private state and national four-year institutions
Your Career Coach
The Individual Studies degree program serves as a base for students who plan to continue their education at a four-year institution. Because of the flexibility of the degree, students have the option of developing a career path of their choice early in their educational experience.
Program Availability Status