Facebook Ad Pixel Registration, SUNY Orange Catalog


The Registrar maintains students' records, sets the academic master schedule, distributes grades and administers many of the College's academic policies.

Students should visit the Registrar’s website for information ranging from class schedules and important registration dates; grades, records, and access to records; verification of enrollment, attendance; graduation applications; the final exam schedule for each semester; the list of graduates for each semester; and protection of students' privacy rights as well as questions regarding the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Most of the information above can be found at the Registrar’s website at www.sunyorange.edu/registrar

Academic Procedures

The degree requirements and academic regulations contained in the SUNY Orange Catalog affect all students who begin their study during the period covered in this Catalog. All information is accurate as of the time of publication. For the most current information, please consult the College web page at www.sunyorange.edu  Policies are subject to change.

Current information relative to changes in program or academic policies can be obtained from the Office of Academic Affairs. The Vice President of Academic Affairs is authorized to waive the application of any College academic policy in a particular case.

Academic Year

The academic year is composed of two semesters—Fall and Spring—each of which is a minimum of 15 instructional weeks long. Courses offered in the summer are a minimum of six weeks. Winter session courses, when offered, are usually three or four weeks in duration.

Cancellation of Classes

Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment. However, any cancellation will be announced no later than the Friday before a full semester begins or on the day before a half semester begins.

During the semester, individual classes will be cancelled for the day, evening or both when hazardous driving conditions or similar inclement weather circumstances make such action advisable. Cancellation of day classes does not necessarily mean evening classes are also cancelled. Cancellation of day classes is usually announced at no later than 6 a.m. on the impacted day while cancellation of evening classes is usually announced at approximately 2 p.m. News regarding delays and cancellations can be found on the College’s website and social media sites, broadcast over local radio stations, and announced on the College’s main telephone number, (845) 344-6222.

The College reserves the right to reschedule classes. Generally, evening classes are made up on the Friday evening of the next week.

Change of Program 

To move from one SUNY Orange degree program to another, a student must complete a Change of Curriculum form. The department chairperson for the new degree program must approve the change. In order for a change of curriculum to be processed for the current semester, the form must be received by the Registrar’s Office by the end of the third week of the semester. Any change of curriculum received after the third week will be effective for the subsequent term. Forms are available from Student Services Central or online. 

Conduct Expected of Students

SUNY Orange has adopted specific policies and procedures regarding student conduct.  These policies and procedures, in the form of the Code of Student Conduct, are available online at www.sunyorange.edu/studentservices/index.html 

The College reserves the right to dismiss any student who exhibits conduct incompatible with the purposes of the College. The SUNY Orange Board of Trustees, administration, faculty, and staff have a primary concern for the academic achievement, standards and personal integrity of our students; recognize their obligation to protect college property; and take a special interest in the mental and physical health of the college community.

Developmental Course Placement 

For students who have tested into two or more developmental subjects (reading, writing or mathematics), the College has the following academic procedures in place to monitor their progress:

  • A Developmental Review Board is convened by the Vice President of Academic Affairs and is comprised of a chair and four faculty members with at least one representative from the English department and one representative from the math department. The chair of the board is the Director of Academic Support and Testing or a designee.  The board is assembled by the chair who selects from a list of faculty volunteers who request to serve on the Board.
  • Students who are placed on academic probation (earned less than 2.0 Cum GPA) or receive a DVF, ZDF, or DVH in a developmental course will be sent a letter stating that the student’s records have been reviewed. Based on a student’s academic progress, there may be a limit placed on the number of credits that the student may take. Students will have the option of meeting with the Developmental Review Board to discuss their circumstances and to appeal the credit limit decision.

The following policy is in place for students regardless of the number of developmental courses they are required to take:

  • Students who receive a grade of “DVH” or “DVF” in a particular developmental course will be allowed to repeat that developmental course only two additional times for a total of three attempts. “Attempts” include those made in summer sessions. After a second attempt, students who do not pass a developmental course must meet with one of the Academic Associate Vice Presidents. If students do not successfully complete a particular developmental course on the third attempt, they will be separated from the College for one year.  Students may not appeal separation except if they met with an Academic AVP after the second unsuccessful attempt and documented extenuating circumstances.  Upon return to the College following a separation, students will be granted one attempt to successfully repeat the course(s). A grade of “DVH” or “DVF” in this attempt will result in another year’s separation with no option to appeal.
  • The advisor and student will use the Placement Test results to ensure that the student takes the required courses at the appropriate level. Students must take the required reading and writing courses each semester until their developmental requirements have been successfully completed. Students who place into developmental math courses must complete these courses even though there may not be a specific math requirement for their program.  As determined by Academic Departments, students must select degree credit courses from the permitted lists (See Permitted Lists in the Learning Assistance Services Section of the Catalog).


Students who have unmet financial obligations or who have failed to comply with College requirements are not permitted to register or receive grades until the hold is cleared with the issuing office.

Course Policies and Procedures

Course Requisites

A prerequisite is a course or other requirement that must be completed prior to taking another course.  It prepares students for more advanced courses in an academic field.

A corequisite is a course or other requirement that must be taken during the same semester as another course. 

A pre/corequisite is a course that must be either (1) completed prior to taking another course or (2) taken during the same semester as another course.


  1. Course requisites may be waived or substituted at the discretion of the appropriate department chair.  A signed waiver form approved by the department chairperson must be filed with the Registrar’s Office.  Students with credits earned at another institution are urged to check with the Registrar’s Office to determine appropriate course equivalencies.
  2. Course requisites are noted online as part of the catalog in the course descriptions area and also online as part of the course section search feature.  A student without the appropriate requisites or waiver can be withdrawn from the course by the Registrar or at the request of the instructor.

Course Outline/Syllabus

Course outlines and/or syllabi are distributed to students and appropriate department chairs at the beginning of each semester. Each syllabus must contain the elements identified by the Office of the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Elements that may be included in a course outline/syllabus are: heading; catalog description; relationship to programs; student learning outcomes; chronology of study; grading system; types of tests; instructional materials; attendance policy; instructor withdrawal policy; support services; office location, hours and phone; campus e-mail address; religious observance; and appropriate Americans with Disabilities Act  (ADA) information.

Departments may have their own policies regarding additional information and end-of-the-semester reports.

Repeating a Course

Repeating a course means taking a course after having received a grade of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F, ZF, W or M in that course. When a student repeats a course, the grade and credits earned in the last attempt are calculated in the academic average, unless the grade is a “W” or “M.”  All grades remain on the student’s record. Students who receive financial aid should check with the Financial Aid Office before repeating a course in which a grade of D or better was earned.

Audit of Course

Students who wish to audit a course, where they do not earn credit or a grade in that course, must complete a special permission form, online, when they register. Nursing courses are not subject to audit.

Students may, however, change their status from audit to credit or vice versa, if they file the special permission forms by the end of the third week of classes (or its equivalent for summer sessions). Instructors are not required to evaluate the work of audit students. Students who receive financial aid should consult with the Financial Aid Office before changing to audit status. Students are obligated to pay in full all tuition and fees whether or not they attend classes unless they officially drop classes.

Credit Load

Credit load refers to the total number of credits a student is taking in a semester. Twelve or more credits per semester is considered a full-time course load; while ½ to 11½ credits per semester is considered part-time.

Students generally may schedule their classes in the day, evening, or online, in accordance with their particular needs. However, if a student wants to take more than the maximum credit load, (19.5 or more credits in a semester, or 8.5 or more in a summer session) the appropriate associate vice president must approve. 

Schedule Changes and Withdrawals

Should a student need to change any portion of his or her schedule, or to withdraw from the College during the semester, the following policies have been established:

Official Withdrawal from the College

To apply for an Official Withdrawal from the College and all of the current semester’s courses, a student must meet the deadlines published in the appropriate course schedule. The student needs to discuss a withdrawal with his or her academic advisor and begin the formal process.

Since the student’s financial aid and future academic record may be affected, the student must carefully follow the formal steps. The student must complete the Total Withdrawal from the College Form with appropriate signatures by the deadlines published in the current academic calendar. An exit interview with an Advising Office staff member is required for all degree-seeking students. Students who receive any form of financial aid are required to obtain a financial aid officer’s signature. Part-time, non-degree-seeking students should complete and file their forms with Student Services Central.

Medical Withdrawal

A student may withdraw from all semester courses for medical reasons. 

When a student must withdraw from the College or courses due to personal medical reasons, he or she should obtain written verification from the physician and include it with all other required forms. The physician’s statement should list the dates of the condition and provide a general description of the student’s state of health and its effect on the student’s ability to attend classes. All such information maintained by the College is treated as confidential.

The student's request for medical withdrawal and appropriate forms should be submitted before the end of the semester in which the illness occurs. If a third party is acting on behalf of the student at any point during the Medical Withdrawal process they are required to have a signed letter from the student giving them permission and show photo ID at time of service in adherence with the College’s Red Flag Policy. Withdrawals approved for medical reasons do not generate an automatic refund of tuition, waiver of the physical education requirement, or waiver of financial aid requirements. 

Withdrawal from a Non-Developmental Course

A student may withdraw from a non-developmental course by following the deadlines posted in the registration calendar (see current course schedule), completing the appropriate forms available and obtaining the advisor’s signature.

Withdrawal from a Developmental Course

Per Academic Policy, students may not withdraw from developmental courses. Students may seek special permission to withdraw from an Academic Associate Vice President. Documentation of extenuating circumstances is required.

To withdraw from a developmental mathematics course, no permission is needed if the student has not yet attempted 24 non-developmental credits.  If a student has already attempted 24 non-developmental credits, he/she must obtain the permission of an Academic Associate Vice President (or designee).

Impact Upon Financial Aid Awards

Students who receive financial aid should check with the Financial Aid Office since current or future aid may be affected by such actions as:

  • change from credit to audit status
  • withdrawal (medical or voluntary) from either a single course or from all courses.
  • repeating a course in which a grade of D or better was earned.

Grades and Grading

Grades, Quality Points and Cumulative GPA

SUNY Orange uses a four-point grading system, based on letter grades of A, B, C, D and F. Each grade is assigned a numeric value: 

A  =  4.00 C  =  2.00
A-  =  3.67 C-  =  1.67
B+  =  3.33 D+  =  1.33
B  =  3.00 D  =  1.00
B-  =  2.67
D-  =  .67
C+  =  2.33 F  =  0
  ZF  =  0  (failure; stopped attending before the 10th week of the semester or its equivalent and did not officially withdraw from the course)

To calculate quality points, multiply the number of credits of a course by the numeric value of the grade earned. For example: An A (4 quality points) in Freshman English 1 (3 credits) produces 12 quality points (4 x 3 = 12) and a C- (1.67 quality points) in Calculus 1 (4 credits) produces 6.68 quality points (1.67x 4 = 6.68).

To determine academic average for a given semester, divide the quality points earned by the number of semester hour credits calculated (SemGPA). The same formula, dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of credits calculated, is used to calculate the cumulative quality point average (CGPA).

All credit courses taken at the College are calculated into the Cumulative GPA unless the student has been awarded a Fresh Start (see Fresh Start Policy). Transfer credits do not affect the cumulative SUNY Orange GPA. The College accepts only transfer credits, but not the grades.

However, when calculating academic average, the following special grades do not count as credits calculated:

PP   (Pass) indicates satisfactory performance

PF   (Fail) is  received for unsatisfactory performance

ZPF   (Fail) stopped attending a Pass/Fail course failure; stopped attending before the 10th week of the semester or its equivalent and did not officially withdraw from the course

I   (Incomplete) work unfinished due to unavoidable circumstances

 (Withdrawal) indicates that the student withdrew by the deadline

M   (Medical Withdrawal) withdrawal from a course based upon documented health reasons

 (Non-credit) indicates a credit course was taken for no credit 

DVP   (Developmental Pass) indicates satisfactory performance in a developmental course

DVF   (Developmental Fail) is received for unsatisfactory performance in a developmental course

ZDF   (Developmental Fail) stopped attending failure; stopped attending before the 10th week of the semester or its equivalent and did not officially withdraw from the course

NR   (Not Reported) by instructor.

To clear a grade of I (Incomplete) from the record, work must be completed by the deadline indicated on the Incomplete Form, which can be no later than the end of the next semester, Fall or Spring. If the work is not completed, the I grade will become an F. It is the student’s responsibility to remain in contact with the instructor and submit work by the deadline. A grade of I will be calculated as an F for graduation purposes.

Mid-Semester Progress Reports

Communication between instructors and students regarding the student’s progress in college classes generally takes place before or after class or during office hours. In addition, students whose work is below the level of “C” may receive a Mid-Semester Progress Report. This “unsatisfactory” report does not go on a student’s college transcript, but should be considered official notification that the student should speak with the instructor about his or her progress. Students may also wish to speak with their academic advisor or a personal counselor.

Degree Audit/Catalog Year

All Health Professions students must follow the Catalog requirements of the term in which they were most recently accepted into their specific Health Professions program. All non-Health Professions students follow the Catalog requirements of the term in which they were originally admitted.

All students, in the cases of 1) readmission, or 2) change of program (major) will follow the program requirements of the Catalog term in effect at the time of the change.

Current students wishing to follow a more recent Catalog version can request this with the approval of an advisor. Students may not mix program requirementsv from different terms for the same program.

Final Examination Schedules

Final examinations are not required in all courses. During the Fall and Spring semesters, for the mandatory 15th week, a special schedule is developed for all day classes. Final examinations will not necessarily be held on the same day or at the same time, during the Fall/Spring semesters, as the regularly scheduled course. The special schedule for final examinations of day classes is developed and distributed by the Registrar.

Examinations for evening classes during the Fall and Spring semesters are usually held during the last week, on the same day of the week and at the same time as the regularly scheduled course. See the academic calendar for the dates of the final examination period.


Graduation Application

Graduation and participation in the commencement ceremony are not automatic. Students must initiate the process themselves. The Graduation Application Form must be filed with Student Services Central. Before students can be cleared for graduation, they must return all college property loaned to them and pay any monies or outstanding obligations owed to any office of the College.

Those intending to graduate in May must file for graduation during February and March prior to May graduation. Students who complete their graduation requirements at the end of the Fall semester are invited to participate in the commencement ceremony the following May. See the registration calendar for filing deadlines.

August Graduates who meet certain criteria are able to participate in the May Graduation Ceremony provided you:

  • Self Identify at time of applying in February through April 
  • Are in good Academic Standing (2.00 CGPA or higher) 
  • Have no more than 6 credits remaining; or 2 courses that do not exceed 8 credits to graduate in August 

Waiver or Substitution of Graduation Requirement

Students who seek a waiver or substitution of a graduation course requirement should first discuss that request with the program department chairperson. Approval from the course department chairperson (if different from the program department chairperson) would also need to be obtained. Final approval is determined by the appropriate associate vice president.

Waiver of Physical Education For Health Reasons

Students seeking a waiver of physical education as a graduation requirement because of a physical limitation must follow this procedure: 

  • Obtain a Physical Education Waiver Request form from the office of the appropriate associate vice president.
  • Give the Physical Education Waiver Request form to their physician (They must read it before sending a letter requesting a physical education waiver).
  • Have your physician write a letter using his or her letterhead and following the instructions on the Physical Education Waiver Request form.
  • Return the physician's letter to the office of the appropriate associate vice president.

Note: Even though a physical education activity waiver is granted, students will still be required to take the one credit Concepts of Physical Wellness course, which is a lecture course and not an activity course if required for their program of study. This applies to all students, regardless of when they were admitted to the College. Students with long-term disabilities should make application for a physical education waiver during their first semester at the College.


In order to qualify for an associate degree, at least 30 credit hours must be earned while attending SUNY Orange. Beginning with the Fall 2009 semester, if the student is enrolled in a Newburgh branch campus program, at least half of the credits earned at the College must have been taken at the Newburgh campus.

Transfer Credits and the Transfer Application Process

Transfer Credit From Other Colleges

In general, no more than 30 semester hours of credit are acceptable for students transferring to SUNY Orange from another college or university. Only courses in which the student has received a grade of at least “C” will be considered. Credit will be evaluated for course work completed more than 10 years ago on an individual basis. Only those credits which apply to the student's area of academic interest will be considered.

Awarding of transfer credit is done in writing. Upon receipt of the written evaluation, the student may schedule an appointment with the Registrar if he/she has questions or wishes to appeal the evaluation. 

If the student is not satisfied with the Registrar's decision, they may appeal to the appropriate department chair within 10 business days after the Registrar's appeal decision is made. If the student wishes to appeal a department chair's decision, they may do so to the appropriate associate academic vice president within 10 business days of being informed of the chair's appeal decision. The decision of the appropriate academic associate vice president is final.

In addition to the above, SUNY has established policies to guarantee the transfer of credits for general education courses and courses taken in the first two years in the most frequently transferred majors. These policies guarantee that general education credits and credits in the primary courses in the most popular disciplines transfer throughout the system.

If a student does not agree with a SUNY College's decision on the granting or placement of credit earned at a prior SUNY institution, they have the right to submit an appeal to SUNY Orange's transfer campus representative which is the Vice President of Academic Affairs or their designee.

The student should be prepared to provide reasonable material to support their case, such as the course description or syllabus in question. The campus transfer representative will explain the process and let the student know exactly what materials are needed.

Once all of the required information is received, the expectation is that the transfer appeal representative will provide the student with a written response within 15 business days. If the decision finds merit to change the course to meet a major requirement, the representative will notify the student, the chairperson and/or program coordinator, and will see that the change is made to the student's record.

If the decision is unchanged, or the student has not received a response within 15 business days, the student may take their appeal to the SUNY System Provost by submitting the Student Transfer Appeal Form along with requested materials.

The SUNY Provost will respond to the student's appeal within five business days from receipt of the completed appeal application. If the decision finds merit to change the course to meet a major requirement, the receiving institution will be notified to take appropriate action.

Remember, this additional appeal process is only available when a student challenges SUNY Orange's decision not to accept credit earned at another SUNY institution.

Note:  If you receive a waiver of your placement testing based on work completed at other schools, this does NOT guarantee that you will receive transfer credit.

Courses and credits, but not grades, are accepted. A student’s CGPA at SUNY Orange is calculated based upon course work at SUNY Orange only. Transfer credits from other institutions do not affect the CGPA.

If a student has a passing grade in a course at SUNY Orange, an equivalent course will not be accepted from another institution. If a course is failed at SUNY Orange, an equivalent transferred course may be accepted, but the failing grade will still appear on the student’s transcript and will be calculated in the student’s CGPA. No grades are ever eliminated from a student transcript.

Active duty military personnel may receive up to 45 credits and veterans up to 30 credits for courses and military occupational specialties if those courses or specialties are directly applicable to an area of academic interest at SUNY Orange. Students who have completed basic training in the U.S. armed forces may receive credit for both PES 100 and the one credit of physical activity requirement if required for their program of study.

Credit by SUNY Orange Examination

Students’ life experiences may qualify them to take examinations and earn college credit in certain course offerings. To pursue this option, students are encouraged to check with appropriate department chairpersons. SUNY Orange may also award transfer credit for certain Excelsior College exams (formerly Regents College), certain AP (Advanced Placement) and CLEP (College Level Experience Program) exams, and certain non-college-sponsored training programs, as evaluated by the American Council on Education.

Transcript Requests

Official Transcripts contain a record of all courses, grades and degrees received at SUNY Orange. Transcripts are sent to other parties such as colleges, prospective employers, or government agencies at the request of the student and payment of the required fee.

Online Transcript Ordering

SUNY Orange has partnered with Parchment LLC to provide transcript ordering, printing, and delivery services for students and alumni quickly and conveniently online. Please visit www.sunyorange.edu/registrar/transcripts for additional information and to order your transcripts.

Upon written request and following payment of appropriate fees, students may have transcripts sent to other parties such as colleges, prospective employers or government agencies. Transcripts are mailed within a week of the request, in order of receipt.

Transcripts should be requested well in advance of the required receipt date. Requests must be signed by the student, authorizing release of transcripts, and include the transcript fee of $10 per copy. Please be advised that institutions and agencies requesting transcripts will not consider them official unless mailed directly from SUNY Orange or hand-delivered in a sealed envelope marked “unofficial if seal is broken.” Only the student (with appropriate photo identification) may pick up their transcript, unless they have given written permission to a designee, with a verified signature. The designee should also provide photo identification.

Policy for Transcript Notations for Crimes of Violence

For crimes of violence, including, but not limited to sexual violence, defined as crimes that meet the reporting requirements pursuant to the federal Clery Act, SUNY Orange shall make a notation on the transcript of any student found responsible after a conduct process that they were “suspended after a finding of responsibility for a code of conduct violation” or “expelled after a finding of responsibility for a code of conduct violation.”

For the respondent who withdraws from the institution while such conduct charges are pending, and declines to complete the disciplinary process, SUNY Orange shall make a notation on the transcript that the student “withdrew with conduct charges pending.”

Students may appeal seeking removal of the transcript notation for a suspension through written request to the Office of the Provost. The notation shall not be removed prior to one year after the conclusion of the suspension.  Notations for expulsion may not be appealed and will not be removed.  If a finding of responsibility is vacated for any reason, any such transcript notation will be removed.

Transfer to Four-Year SUNY Colleges

If students earn an Associate in Arts or an Associate in Science degree from a two-year institution, State University of New York guarantees a place for them as a full-time student at a senior college campus—but not necessarily the one of their first choice.

The application deadline is March 1 for Fall semester transfer and Oct. 1 for Spring transfer. All other applications, excluding the guaranteed program, can be sent after this deadline. SUNY application forms are available online at www.suny.edu. If students plan to transfer, they should take advantage of SUNY Orange transfer days and visitations by four-year college transfer representatives.