- CAREER DEGREE
- MIDDLETOWN CAMPUS
- DISTANCE LEARNING
The Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP)
7007 College Boulevard, Suite 420
Overland Park, KS 66211
The Associate in Applied Science degree program in Accounting prepares graduates to begin their careers assisting accountants as full-charge bookkeepers, junior accountants, accounting clerks or office managers in the private, public or government sectors.
Students take a sequence of accounting coursework including Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Income Tax Procedures, Accounting with Microcomputer Applications and Accounting Practice. With computer software, students learn to use correct accounting procedures through the accounting cycle. Special Excel spreadsheet and QuickBooks projects are provided to enhance the understanding of real world applications.
The accounting assistant provides bookkeeping capabilities to a variety of employers through such responsibilities as accounts receivable/payable, payroll, balance sheets, and income statements, billing, and bank statement reconciliation.
This degree has been approved by ACBSP and SUNY NYS Education Department for online distance learning delivery. This does not mean that SUNY Orange offers every course in the program online; however, many are offered in this format. Please check the current credit course schedule for online DL virtual course listings offered each semester.
A Day in the Life ...
The Associate in Applied Science degree program in Accounting prepares graduates to begin their careers assisting accountants as bookkeepers, junior accountants, accounting clerks or office managers in the private, public, or government sector. The accounting assistant provides bookkeeping capabilities with responsibilities in accounts receivable/payable, payroll, balance sheets, income statements, billing, and bank statement reconciliation.
Three Reasons to Consider Accounting A.A.S.
- Small classes to give you individual attention and provide individual encouragement from credentialed faculty.
- Internship experience for those who want to build their resumes for regional companies.
- Nationally accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- demonstrate knowledge of the accounting cycle, including preparation of financial statements in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- express business information effectively in both oral and written form.
- demonstrate the ability to effectively interface with an automated accounting system.
- create and edit Excel spreadsheets to solve various accounting problems.
- learn critical thinking skills through an analytical business report project.
Keep This in Mind
Students learn to use correct accounting procedures through the accounting cycle.
Special Excel spreadsheet and QuickBook projects are provided to enhance the understanding of real-world applications.
Admission to this program requires that students be high school graduates or have high school equivalency diplomas (HSEs). If students are home schooled, they may be eligible for admission.
While the A.A.S. is a degree that prepares you for employment, SUNY Orange students have successfully transferred to:
- Franklin University
- Mount St. Mary College
- Ramapo College
- SUNY Empire State College
Your Career Coach
Career opportunities in general accounting and bookkeeping exist in the following fields:
Program Availability Status
The Accounting A.A.S. program is available as a day program on the Middletown campus. Some coursework available online